Like Lois Pearl

Sunday, February 6, 2011

One Cool Hoodie

Hillbilly's employer recently underwent a logo change, and as a result I ended up with a fairly substantial pile of "Goodwill" polo shirts to haul off.  Then, I remembered a pattern that I had stashed away.  It's from Little Blue Boo.  If you aren't familiar with her blog or patterns, check them out.  She is amazing with knits!  Her site is filled with great ways to upcycle old clothing into darling outfits for the kiddos.

I selected this sporty hoodie pattern.  I love that it works for boys or girls!

Image of DIY PDF Pattern and Tutorial - Recycled T-Shirt Hoodie - Unisex Sizes 6M to 7 Years

First I got to work cutting out all of my pattern pieces using three of the old polo shirts.  When combining different knits into one pattern, just try to make sure they are about the same weight.  Your finished garmet will look more polished.


We stitched the pieces using our serger, but you could easily use a standard sewing machine.  Almost all machines have a zig zag stitch, and many now have a "stretch" stitch as well.  It's important to use a zig zag or stretch stitch for knits, so that the seems can stretch with your fabric.  A standard straight stitch will break as the fabric stretches. 

Here is our hoodie, all whipped up.  I just love the orange and navy combo, especially with the stripe on the bottom.


Next, Bug and I decided that his hoodie needed a soccer flair.  He loves the number 3, which just happens to be his age.  I traced an "03" onto freezer paper, and then ironed it onto the shirt, making sure the waxy side was down.  This helps the paper to lightly adhere to the fabric.  I Am Momma Hear Me Roar has a great tutorial on freezer paper stenciling.  It's so easy!



We used matte fabric paint and a sponge brush to apply our 3, in the hopes that it would have a nice "worn" look when finished.


Here's a look at our finished product! 



I have to tell you, that I've always been intimidated by working with knits.  So, one of my goals this year is to tackle more knit projects.  This one was definitely a success!

Happy Crafty!

e

1 comment:

  1. This IS great!! I have a big "Goodwill"/upcycle pile and I might have to do this!!

    ReplyDelete