Like Lois Pearl

Friday, January 20, 2012

Easy Canvas Photos

I friend of mine had introduced me to this tutorial from The Sassy Pepper.  It's been on my crafty "to-do" list ever since!  We have so many blank walls in our house.  Little by little my goal is to fill them up this year, and this was the perfect craft for it!



Here's what you'll need to get started.

8x10 canvas ($4.99)
8x10 photo (photo quality paper!) ($2.00)
Mod Podge (I used glossy)
Black Acrylic Paint ($.99)
Sponge Paint Brush
Black Ribbon ($2.00)

(pretzels in the picture are optional)



1.  Trim the edges of your photo so they lie just inside the edges of the canvas.  You won't want your photo edges hanging over.

2.  Spread a thin layer of Mod Podge over your canvas.  Place your photo on the top taking care to smooth out any air pockets, and allow to dry.



3.  Spread another layer of Mod Podge over your photo.  Don't worry, the Mod Podge will dry clear!



4.  Once the Mod Podge has dried, spread one last coat on top of your photo.

5.  After all of your Mod Podge is dry and glossy, get out your paint and paintbrush.  I chose to paint the sides of my canvas black, but you could also craft them up with scrapbook paper if you prefer.  Using your sponge brush, carefully paint the edges and corners of your canvas black....all the way to the edge of your photo.  Don't worry if you get too much paint on your photo edges, just gently wipe it off with a wet paper towel.





6.  Allow your paint to dry.  Then cut 2 lengths of ribbon (mine were about 18" each).  Tie a bow in the ribbons, and attach them to the back of your canvas using a staple gun.



Now you can enjoy your custom wall art!




My total project cost was just under $15.00 for two canvases!  I have a few more old canvases that I'll be using next time, and I already have all of the other supplies that I need!  This would be a great crafty to do with friends!

Linking Up Here













2 comments:

  1. They look great! Gotta go do my mini canvases this weekend if I can find the right size pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable! Thanks so much for linking up at Sassy Sites for our ffa Friday party! Have a great weekend.

    XOXO!
    Marni

    ReplyDelete