Like Lois Pearl

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sausage Breakfast Casserole

Growing up, my Nana would make her egg & sausage breakfast casserole for us each Christmas.  My mother has continued this tradition.  Smell evokes such a strong sense of memory, I feel like I'm right back at my Nana's when this is baking in the oven.

Breakfast Sausage Casserole

1 lb Breakfast Sausage, browned
6 eggs
2 c. milk
1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
1 t. dry mustard
5 slices bread

Mix all together.  Please in greased 8 1/2x11 pan.  Place in refrigerator over night or at least 6 hours before baking.  Cover with foil, bake 30 minutes.  Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes more until top is golden brown.  Bake at 350.

Nana's notes say that 1.5 times the recipe will fill at 9x13 pan and serve 12.  She also adds that this makes a nice carry-in dish for a group breakfast. 
(I'll be making is twice this week!)

The very best part of this recipe, is that I have it on a card in Nana's handwriting.  It was given to me at my wedding shower.  It just doesn't get much better than a loving grandmother and a good casserole!

Happy baking,
e

1 comment:

  1. I assume this is what we had Friday at MOPS? Delicious!

    ReplyDelete