Like Lois Pearl

Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Fun Coaster Crafty

We were getting ready to attend the wedding of two wonderful people recently, and I wanted to come up with a personalized gift for them.  I turned to my trusty new friend, Mod Podge, and found a great gift idea that even a 3 year old can be a part of creating.

First, I gathered my supplies.


Spray Adhesive, 4" Square Cork Coasters, Mod Podge, Foam Brushes (all found at Hobby Lobby)
4" Square Ceramic Tiles (found at Menards)
4" square pieces, cut from an old atlas



I began by hunting through my car for an old atlas.  We seem to have a million of these floating around our garage and vehicles, and I can't remember the last time that I actually even looked at one.  It makes me a little nastalgic to see these now.  It seems that I really do use my phone for everything these days, especially navigation.  It was time to give the atlas a new purpose! 

I pinpointed certain "fun" cities (where the couple grew up, went to college, and now live.) and cut 4" squares incorporating these locations.

Next, we used the adhesive spray to adhere the cork squares to the bottom of our tiles. 

We then coated the top of each tile in a thin layer of Mod Podge.  We placed the map squares on top, and finised with another coat of Mod Podge.


After allowing the tiles to dry, we coated them in 2 thin layers of high gloss sealant.



Then it was time to site back and enjoy our work!  They turned out great, and were such a fun crafty!





I hope that the happy couple enjoy them.  I can't wait to try creating a set with fabric!

Happy crafty!

e

1 comment: